Spring is just around the corner. With warmer temps and more sunshine comes the big break out. After being cooped up inside for most of winter, it feels good to get out and get moving. Unfortunately, it is super easy to over do it and suffer an injury. So my tip for this Tuesday is…
I know how eager you are to get out there, get the yard or gardens cleaned up, maybe go for a jog, or even get back into strength training, but our bodies need a little reintroduction period. If we go all out after being sedentary all winter, it isn’t going to end well. This could lead to extreme muscle soreness or an actual injury. So here are a few ways to avoid over doing it this Spring.
- Spread out your yard work over multiple days and do not try to get it all done at once.
- Warm up your body with a walk and do some full-body stretching before you get into the dirty work.
- If you are looking to get active, start slowly and build from there. Things such as a walk to run program or progressive strengthening programs are great.
- Start with less time and gradually add more.
- Start with less intensity and gradually add more.
- Listen to your body! Take a break, stretch tight muscles as needed,
Spring is Coming!!
So get out there and enjoy the warmer weather and sunshine, BUT take care of your body. The last thing anyone wants is to start the season with an injury. If you do have severe muscle soreness or believe you injured yourself, please see your Doctor or Chiropractor as soon as you can. The sooner you get treatment, such as massage therapy or physical therapy, the sooner you can get back to moving well.